DIY: MASON JAR RAINBOW CAKES
Hooray for Spring! Time to shed those winter layers and head outdoors to soak in the much-needed sunshine! Nothing says spring time quite like picnics – and these Mason Jar Rainbow Cakes are the perfect portable desserts to bring along to your next event.
What you’ll need:
- 340g packet vanilla cake mix
- 3 jars (per 340g cake mix)
- Food colouring
- Canned whipped cream
- Sprinkles for decorating
How to do it:
- Combine the cake mix according to packet instructions and separate the batter into 5 containers adding a different colour food dye to each. I used green, yellow, pink, blue and (makeshift) purple.
- Spray the inside of each jar with nonstick cooking spray. Add a few spoonfuls of your first coloured batter into the jar. Repeat this step with each colour until you have filled the jar about half way with your layered cake batter.
- Place your jars into a shallow baking dish with an inch (or so) of water surrounding. Place in oven and bake according to packet instructions or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Take your jars out of the oven and allow them to cool completely. Decorate with whipped cream and sprinkles right before serving.
For more baking and DIY tutorials – check out thedustyfoxx.tumblr.com.
Words by Nadia Draga.